3-Month Food Supply
I wanted to share what has worked SO well for me in my food storage planning, especially the 3-MONTH SUPPLY of "regular" food.
Per my mom's suggestion, I came up with a one-week menu of "staple" breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Then I simply created a shopping list of what food I would need for that one week. After that, it was easy to just multiply--buy one week's worth, then two weeks' worth, etc, until you're up to 12 weeks.
-- If I did things correctly, you should be able to click on the "3-Month Food Supply" link above the iScribd viewer and go directly to the document so you can save a copy. --
The beauty of it...I USE this food! I have to restock items fairly often, which makes me feel GREAT because I'm not letting it go bad. I'm not super worried about rotating the items every shopping trip, because many are canned and the "best-by" dates are out several years. I figure it will suffice to rotate stuff once or twice a year, maybe at Conference time. IF I ever realize I won't use some food before the "best-by" date, I plan to hurry and donate it to the food bank.
So...I urge you to get out there and get a week's worth of food! Then two! Then three! You'll be so glad you did. I absolutely LOVE knowing I can feed my family for quite a while. And there's always peace and security in following counsel.
FYI: If you'd like to see the most recent Home Storage guidelines from the Church--published Feb 2007 to supercede prior guidelines--click here: www.providentliving.org

1 comment:
You are the Food Storage Queen!! Thanks for breaking it down like that - you make it look so easy! Our focus right now is on food storage - we're trying to go to Dry Pack every month, but we only get the things we'll use on a regular basis. Thanks for being such a good example. Love you!
-Mary C
Post a Comment